Captain Kyle’s Cosplay Spotlight is honored to shoot a special episode at Farpoint! This show interviews cosplayers twice… first as the character the cosplayer is portraying, then again as the cosplayer behind the costume. Who will be interviewed? It could be you! Captain Kyle will be auditioning cosplayers who really know and portray their characters well and will choose one cosplayer to interview on camera. The taping will be held on stage in front of a live audience of convention attendees. Plus the episode will be released as part of Season Two of this unique talk show!
Captain Kyle and his co-host, Constance, have been cosplayers and performers for many years. The goal of the show is to show the fun of cosplay in a positive manner and to introduce those who might not be familiar with cosplay to the culture. The only requirements to be part of this fun experience are a strong knowledge of the character, a costume, and the ability to take on the role for less than 10 minutes. Plus during the weekend there will be other opportunities to be part of the show, with cosplayers featured in trivia games, impromptu performances and even young cosplayer interviews (parental/guardian consent required). Get ready to be part of the fun!
For more information about the show, visit www.cosplayspotlight.com
Congratulations to Todd Brugmans, winner of the 2016 Volker/McChesney Award for Service to Fandom. Todd is a talented artist and his talent is exceeded only by his generosity in sharing his talents and his friendliness to all. He has created original art for Firebringer Press, many Starfleet and Colonial Defense Force chapters, and Farpoint Convention as the creator of our beloved FARP. Todd not only donated all rights to the FARP character to the convention, he is our volunteer “FARP Artist In Residence”, creating whimsical covers depicting FARP’s continuing adventures in fandom.
Todd’s support of local conventions and fan groups through his art is an example of the sharing spirit of fandom. He will be presented with the Volker/McChesney award on Friday, February 12, 2016 at the Farpoint Convention Opening Ceremonies beginning at 8:00 pm. Everyone is invited to attend and shout “Huzzah” in his honor.
We are officially “in the chute” in our preparations for Farpoint 2016! Here is the latest news on plans for our next fun weekend convention event, February 12-14, 2016.
- Registration is open! You can register online at http://www.farpointcon.com/register/, or print out our convention flier (http://www.farpointcon.com/flier/) and mail in the registration form to us. Hotel reservations can be made by calling 410-252-7373 or by clicking the link from our website to the hotel’s online reservation page (http://www.farpointcon.com/hotel-information/). Use reservation code FAR to get our hotel room rate of $121 per night (excluding taxes).
- Your weekend or daily (Saturday and Sunday) convention membership ticket includes an autograph from Sean Maher. Every attendee will receive one signature at no additional charge on an item you bring to the convention each day (one on Saturday and one on Sunday). Sean will have items for purchase at his table that will can be signed and he will sign additional items at a fee. We will be posting his price list when it is available.
- Our other guests, including David Gerrold, will sign items you bring to the convention from your personal collection at no charge. They will have copies of their works available for purchase at the convention as well.
- The Author’s Showcase will return in 2016. We will be turning the hotel’s Dulaney Valley 1 room into our FARPBucks Café, where you can find David Gerrold, Crazy 8 Press, Firebringer Press and the Authors’ Signing Tables during the weekend. This room will also host Novel Places, our bookseller, and our author guests reading from their latest works. More details on the reading and signing schedules will be coming as we continue convention planning, but make sure you include a visit to FARPBucks during the weekend.
- We are thrilled to be hosting test drives for Tesla Motors and their Model S car! Times for the test drives will be coming later as we build the convention schedule. All licensed drivers 25 years old and over are welcome to sign up to give this beauty a spin.
- The Wizard Dueling League is returning, so polish your wand and be ready for action! The creators of this live action role playing game will be bringing their updated version to Farpoint for a beta test on Saturday February 13th. This activity is for all ages and we will be putting a link to the updated spell list information when it is ready so that you can practice in advance and be ready for action!
- Farpoint 2016 will include a celebration of Star Trek’s 50th anniversary! Break out your gold command shirt, tricorder and phaser to join in. Details will be coming as plans are finalized.
- The theme for our Science program track will be “Preparing for Space Colonization”. Planned discussions and presentations will look at the challenges and tools available for colonizing other planets and/or space installations. Potential topics include communications between Earth and the colony, use of robotics in colonization, and the care and feeding of a space colony. We are looking forward to welcoming several NASA and space scientists to Farpoint as we explore the fascinating possibilities.
- Are you a Farpoint dealer member? If you are, hello and welcome! Are you planning to be one? If yes, please register ASAP. Spaces in our Dealers Room are almost sold out – act now to make sure you don’t miss out!
- Farpoint 2016 will be hosting showings of several new independent film projects! Farragut Films will be showing a new episode of their continuing “Starship Farragut” series, set in the Star Trek universe. They have also partnered with Whitehurst Films to produce “The Legend of Zelda: Oblivion Rising”, depicting the future adventures of Link after he has married his beloved Zelda, which will be seen on the East Coast for the first time at Farpoint Convention!
Continue to follow us online for the latest news and to communicate with Farpoint Convention:
Website – www.FarpointCon.com
Facebook –Farpoint Convention (https://www.facebook.com/FarpointCon)
Twitter – @FarpointCon (https://twitter.com/FarpointCon)
If you are following our Farpoint website, you may have noticed that we have updated our convention Rules and Policies. We review them each year prior to the convention and wanted to draw particular attention to this year’s changes.
We re-organized the list into sections covering Convention Memberships, Hotel & Conduct to make it easier for members to locate information on a specific rule/policy.
The advent of e-cigarettes and vapor pens caused us to confer with our hotel about the use of these new devices for smoking. The hotel has expanded their no smoking policy to include e-cigarettes and vapor pens, along with traditional tobacco products. Smoking of any kind must be done in the designated smoking areas outside of the hotel with the exception of the few smoking sleeping rooms available, which are assigned on a first come basis when you check in.
Farpoint is a convention about science fiction in its multiple forms and science fiction fans in their diversity of age, sex, orientation, religion, etc. We do not tolerate harassment or bullying of any kind and have updated our rules to specifically state this. It is sad that we need to specify in writing our requirements for members to treat each other with tolerance and respect, but unfortunately important in today’s society.
Please contact us with any questions you have about our convention rules and policies.
Hey Farp Fanatics!
The Farpoint Committee has recently updated it’s Autograph policy that will take effect in 2015 and remain active for the foreseeable future. The following updates are listed below:
1. Each convention member is eligible for one celebrity signature at no extra charge each day. You, the member, may choose the celebrity guest (Tim Russ or Colin Ferguson) for this signature. The member’s convention badge will be punched at the time the no extra charge signature is redeemed.
2. Weekend members will have two no extra charge signatures (one for Saturday and one for Sunday). Saturday and Sunday only members will have one no extra charge signature on the day they attend the convention.
3. Items available for sale at the celebrity’s table are not eligible for the no extra charge signature. The item presented for the no extra charge signature must be one already owned by the member.
4. Convention members may present an item for the no extra charge signature and purchase additional item(s) from the celebrity guest at the same time.
5. All author guests, including Timothy Zahn, will be signing books already owned by the member at no extra charge. Our author guests will have copies of their books for sale at the convention for purchase and signature as well.
We hope you like these new policies! If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please leave a comment below or e-mail us at email@example.com.