Farpoint’s Masquerade is one of the highlights of the con! Novices and seasoned pros alike bring their original and recreation costumes to the stage in a feast for the senses and the funny bone! New costumers are always welcome to compete (don’t be shy!).
For more information about Masquerade, please send an email to our Masquerade Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note the following rules for Masquerade contestants. There will be no exceptions. Violation of these rules will result in disqualification of the contestant.
– You must be a registered member of the convention in order to compete in the Masquerade. You will be asked to show your badge when registering.
– The Masquerade Director reserves the right to listen to any audio submitted by contestants for objectionable content. Use of unapproved content may result in the disqualification of the contestant.
– Costumes and presentations must be rated PG-13 and under. There will be children present (and Muggles). This means no nudity – full, partial, or peeking. All “naughty bits” must be completely covered and costumers must take into account what could be exposed during movement. If you are unsure if your costume is in accordance with these guidelines please see the Masquerade Directors.
– In fairness to all costumers you are limited to one entry per competition. This does not affect workmanship. Note that if you are also a prop or body in another entry this must be cleared by the Masquerade Director(s).
– All audio must be turned in by the close of the Masquerade Registration at 4 pm. Audio must be provided in digital format (CD or USB stick). You must discuss your audio options with the tech at the registration table. All audio is tech checked by Conventional Magic. If your source material is not compatible with Conventional Magic’s equipment we ask that you have a backup source for your entry available upon request.
– There will NOT be a live microphone on the stage. Please prepare your audio presentation in a compatible audio format.
– Time limit for entries is as follows: 60 seconds for an entry with one person, 30 seconds for each additional person in your entry. Maximum presentation time for a group presentation is three (3) minutes. If you exceed your allotted entry time you may be cut short by the Directors.
– No inappropriate or unsafe behavior, explicit gestures, swearing, excessive violence, or sexual situations inappropriate for a PG-13 audience.
– No real weapons of any type. Prop weapons and combat routines must be cleared by the Masquerade Directors in advance.
– Contestants will be disqualified if they are intoxicated at any point during the Masquerade.
– Registration for the Masquerade opens at 10:00 am Saturday. Registration will be downstairs under the escalators across from Convention registration. Registration will close at 4:00 pm of the same day. Entries will not be accepted after 4:00 pm. We apologize if this eliminates anyone, but to process entries on time we cannot accept late entries.
– There are five categories in the Masquerade. Young Fan (children ages newborn to 12), Science Fiction, Fantasy, Re-Creation Uniforms, and Champion’s Cup. Champion’s Cup is for costumers who have won two or more major awards (i.e. First Place in any category, Best in Show, Most Humorous, etc.) at any convention. If you are unsure of what category your costume should be entered in, please ask for assistance from the Masquerade staff.
– Masquerade and Workmanship Registration forms can be taken away, filled out, and returned by someone else on your behalf. However, the Release form must be signed by all contestants appearing on the stage.
– The Masquerade Judges will be seated Stage Left, Down Stage. Please do not approach the Judges once you leave the stage unless they ask you to come to the table.
– The photo stage will be in the downstairs hallway. All fan photos will be taken in this area only. The Photo Stage Manager is an experienced costumer and will pose the costumers accordingly. We ask that photographers remain in the pre-designated seating area and respect all requests from the Photo Stage Manager.
– The Masquerade Committee will not be responsible for personal belongings, purses, wallets, cameras, etc. Please arrange to leave these items in your room or have someone else hold them for you until you get off stage.
– The Green Room (Salons E & F) is staffed by experienced costumers, Den Mommies and Daddies, and will provide assistance for any last-minute emergencies before the Masquerade. You will be assigned your entry number when you arrive at the Green Room. You will be given further instructions regarding Workmanship Judging. Please remember to collect any personal items from the Green Room as soon as the Masquerade ends.
– Farpoint’s Masquerade is a non-professional venue, not a Costumer’s Guild sanctioned or operated event.
For more information about Masquerade, please send an email to our Masquerade Team at email@example.com .