Talking books and buying books are two favorite things to do at a convention for many people. Farpoint Convention makes this easier for you to do by setting aside a special place for authors and book lovers to gather, our FARPBooks Lounge, which will be located in the Dulaney Valley 1 room. You will find Novel Places, our bookseller, in this room along with display tables for many of our author guests including David Gerrold, Crazy 8 Press and Firebringer Press. The autograph tables for author signings and readings will be in the FARPBooks Lounge – see your convention schedule for individual author signings and readings.
Two favorite Farpoint hang-outs will be returning in 2016. Our KHAAAN Sweet will again host a casual spot to sit and relax for awhile, chat with friends and enjoy a quick snack and drink. Our very popular Hal’s Place Gaming Oasis also returns with any number of pick-up games, demonstrations and crafts for all ages. You are welcome to bring a game of your own into Hal’s Place to invite others to play or select a game from our large library. Our annual Gamers’ Flea Market will also return to Hal’s Place. You can bring games and supplies from your closet and place them at our market during the weekend for sale. There is a small fee to sell an item at the Flea Market, which is donated to our Charity Auction each year. The KHAAAN Sweet and Hal’s Place both offer a break from the hustle and bustle of the convention floor for you to enjoy some down time while still partaking of the Farpoint Convention experience.
Farpoint 2016 is coming and we are very excited about the many new special events happening at our convention this year! Make sure to check out the following interactive events at this year’s convention:
- TESLA will be at the convention on Saturday and Sunday with their Model S sedan for you to check out. You can even take it for a test drive if you’re over 25 (ID required). Learn about what some call “The Car of The Future” today.
- The Muggle Dueling League will be conducting a beta test of their rules and spell-casting techniques in our Atrium on Saturday morning. If your letter to Hogwarts went missing in the mail, here’s another way to hone your magical abilities.
- Maryland Kunst des Fechens will be conducting a class on European style sword fighting in our Atrium on Saturday at 3:00 pm. If you are interested in learning authentic sword fighting techniques, this is a must-attend!
- Your favorite Game Shows will be returning to Farpoint! Join host Dean Rogers for SciFi Jeopardy on Sunday at 10:00 am in the Greenspring Ballroom to test your knowledge on all things science fiction. 2015 Volker/McChesney award winner Diane Sahar returns on Sunday at noon in Greenspring with her Cosmic Game Show. Join in to win fabulous prizes and see what games and contests she’s come up with this year!
Sci-Fi Fights! will debut at Farpoint on Sunday at 1:00 PM. This event steals, honors, borrows from the Screen Junkies’ web series and will feature Bob Greenberger, Keith RA DeCandido, and Steven H. Wilson fighting for supremacy over a number of topics including “Best SciFi media of 2015”, “Which Star Wars character deserves their own spin-off movie?”, and “Pitch a new Star Trek TV show!”
David Gerrold, Hugo and Nebula Award Winning Author and Star Trek Legend, will join us to celebrate Star Trek’s 50th Anniversary!
To see a Complete List of our Confirmed Guests, click here.
We are happy to announce that fan favorite John Morton, “Dak” from Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, will be joining us at Farpoint 2016! He also appeared in the film as Boba Fett on Bespin when Boba utters his famous line to Darth Vader, “He’s no good to me dead” substituting for an unavailable Jeremy Bulloch. John is a regular contributor to the Official Star Wars Blog and the U.K.’s Jedi News. John will be at Farpoint talking all things Star Wars; he should have a unique perspective having played both a hero and a villain in the saga!
Captain Kyle’s Cosplay Spotlight is honored to shoot a special episode at Farpoint! This show interviews cosplayers twice… first as the character the cosplayer is portraying, then again as the cosplayer behind the costume. Who will be interviewed? It could be you! Captain Kyle will be auditioning cosplayers who really know and portray their characters well and will choose one cosplayer to interview on camera. The taping will be held on stage in front of a live audience of convention attendees. Plus the episode will be released as part of Season Two of this unique talk show!
Captain Kyle and his co-host, Constance, have been cosplayers and performers for many years. The goal of the show is to show the fun of cosplay in a positive manner and to introduce those who might not be familiar with cosplay to the culture. The only requirements to be part of this fun experience are a strong knowledge of the character, a costume, and the ability to take on the role for less than 10 minutes. Plus during the weekend there will be other opportunities to be part of the show, with cosplayers featured in trivia games, impromptu performances and even young cosplayer interviews (parental/guardian consent required). Get ready to be part of the fun!
For more information about the show, visit www.cosplayspotlight.com
Yelp Baltimore is now an official Farpoint Convention sponsor! Representatives from Yelp Baltimore will be at Farpoint Convention this February with great Yelp swag and to help you learn more about the services they offer. Yelp will be the official internet check-in site during Farpoint Convention so that you can let your friends find you and join you at the convention.
Yelp is a free internet based service which you can access on your computer or smartphone to find local businesses wherever you are. Yelpers share reviews and photos of businesses and events to help fellow members find the best events (like Farpoint Convention), restaurants, stores and services in their local area. You will find our Farpoint Convention Yelp page at http://bit.ly/1RNZ9Ov.
Congratulations to Todd Brugmans, winner of the 2016 Volker/McChesney Award for Service to Fandom. Todd is a talented artist and his talent is exceeded only by his generosity in sharing his talents and his friendliness to all. He has created original art for Firebringer Press, many Starfleet and Colonial Defense Force chapters, and Farpoint Convention as the creator of our beloved FARP. Todd not only donated all rights to the FARP character to the convention, he is our volunteer “FARP Artist In Residence”, creating whimsical covers depicting FARP’s continuing adventures in fandom.
Todd’s support of local conventions and fan groups through his art is an example of the sharing spirit of fandom. He will be presented with the Volker/McChesney award on Friday, February 12, 2016 at the Farpoint Convention Opening Ceremonies beginning at 8:00 pm. Everyone is invited to attend and shout “Huzzah” in his honor.
We are officially “in the chute” in our preparations for Farpoint 2016! Here is the latest news on plans for our next fun weekend convention event, February 12-14, 2016.
- Registration is open! You can register online at http://www.farpointcon.com/register/, or print out our convention flier (http://www.farpointcon.com/flier/) and mail in the registration form to us. Hotel reservations can be made by calling 410-252-7373 or by clicking the link from our website to the hotel’s online reservation page (http://www.farpointcon.com/hotel-information/). Use reservation code FAR to get our hotel room rate of $121 per night (excluding taxes).
- Your weekend or daily (Saturday and Sunday) convention membership ticket includes an autograph from Sean Maher. Every attendee will receive one signature at no additional charge on an item you bring to the convention each day (one on Saturday and one on Sunday). Sean will have items for purchase at his table that will can be signed and he will sign additional items at a fee. We will be posting his price list when it is available.
- Our other guests, including David Gerrold, will sign items you bring to the convention from your personal collection at no charge. They will have copies of their works available for purchase at the convention as well.
- The Author’s Showcase will return in 2016. We will be turning the hotel’s Dulaney Valley 1 room into our FARPBucks Café, where you can find David Gerrold, Crazy 8 Press, Firebringer Press and the Authors’ Signing Tables during the weekend. This room will also host Novel Places, our bookseller, and our author guests reading from their latest works. More details on the reading and signing schedules will be coming as we continue convention planning, but make sure you include a visit to FARPBucks during the weekend.
- We are thrilled to be hosting test drives for Tesla Motors and their Model S car! Times for the test drives will be coming later as we build the convention schedule. All licensed drivers 25 years old and over are welcome to sign up to give this beauty a spin.
- The Wizard Dueling League is returning, so polish your wand and be ready for action! The creators of this live action role playing game will be bringing their updated version to Farpoint for a beta test on Saturday February 13th. This activity is for all ages and we will be putting a link to the updated spell list information when it is ready so that you can practice in advance and be ready for action!
- Farpoint 2016 will include a celebration of Star Trek’s 50th anniversary! Break out your gold command shirt, tricorder and phaser to join in. Details will be coming as plans are finalized.
- The theme for our Science program track will be “Preparing for Space Colonization”. Planned discussions and presentations will look at the challenges and tools available for colonizing other planets and/or space installations. Potential topics include communications between Earth and the colony, use of robotics in colonization, and the care and feeding of a space colony. We are looking forward to welcoming several NASA and space scientists to Farpoint as we explore the fascinating possibilities.
- Are you a Farpoint dealer member? If you are, hello and welcome! Are you planning to be one? If yes, please register ASAP. Spaces in our Dealers Room are almost sold out – act now to make sure you don’t miss out!
- Farpoint 2016 will be hosting showings of several new independent film projects! Farragut Films will be showing a new episode of their continuing “Starship Farragut” series, set in the Star Trek universe. They have also partnered with Whitehurst Films to produce “The Legend of Zelda: Oblivion Rising”, depicting the future adventures of Link after he has married his beloved Zelda, which will be seen on the East Coast for the first time at Farpoint Convention!
Continue to follow us online for the latest news and to communicate with Farpoint Convention:
Website – www.FarpointCon.com
Facebook –Farpoint Convention (https://www.facebook.com/FarpointCon)
Twitter – @FarpointCon (https://twitter.com/FarpointCon)
If you’ve been following us online, you know that Farpoint Convention ran a Kickstarter project over the last few weeks. Our goal was to raise $30,000 in order to invite and fully fund a guest from the wish list we’ve compiled from member suggestions. This would be names like Ming-Na Wen, Grant Gustin, Stephen Amell or Haley Atwell. Fully funding the appearance ourselves would have meant that you would have received an autograph and at the table photo as part of your convention membership.
Overall, running a Kickstarter project was an excellent learning experience. Feedback we’ve received showed us that our regular attendees like that Farpoint Convention is small and provides a casual atmosphere for members to interact with our guests and each other. Many of you were concerned that if we brought in a big name guest that the Farpoint experience would be affected. It would not be the same relaxed, informal atmosphere when the big name guest brought in an influx of additional members. Our intent, of course, would have been to preserve the traditional “Farpoint vibe” but whether we would have been successful doing so will remain unknown.
We enjoyed talking to people about our Kickstarter at the conventions we attended during our project timeframe. We gained new social media followers and appreciated everyone’s support through their pledging and sharing of our project. And we continued making plans for #FarpointCon2016. Tesla Motors will be providing one of their Model S sedans for test drives. We will be welcoming several new authors to their first Farpoint Convention. Whitehurst Films will be attending Farpoint for the first time with the East Coast premiere of their film “Legend of Zelda: Oblivion Rising”, an independent film exploring the future adventures of the characters from the “Zelda” gaming series. The 50th anniversary of Star Trek will most definitely be celebrated! We are going to have a great time this February, and having Sean Maher from “Firefly”, along with one or two other celebrity guests, is icing on the cake.
Please continue to share the news about Farpoint Convention. Thanks for your support.